The Department of Nuclear Sciences and Engineering at the Instituto Superior Técnico (IST) of the University of Lisbon is conducting an open search for candidates who are interested in applying for upcoming openings of tenure track positions in the areas of Nuclear Technologies and Radiological Protection and Chemical and Radiopharmaceutical Sciences.
Preference will be given to applicants at the Assistant Researcher level.
Requirements and desired skills:
Prospective candidates must, by the date of the upcoming opening, have earned a doctoral degree in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geology or related areas. Candidates must have an excellent record of publications, capacity to raise project funding and a clear potential to promote and lead research activities in the area of Nuclear Sciences and Technologies. Strong communication skills and proficiency of the English language are required.
The candidates will be expected to:
1) Develop a strong and independent research career with national and international recognition;
2) Develop a research program, which is capable of attracting competitive funding at the national and international level;
3) Supervise undergraduate, MSc and PhD students;
4) Contribute to undergraduate and graduate (MSc and PhD) teaching programs;
5) Carry out other service activities as a faculty member, by interacting collegially and maintaining the highest standard of integrity and ethics.
How to apply:
Prospective candidates should submit the following documents (in a single pdf file) addressed to Dr. Katharina Lorenz, President of DECN, to the following e-mail: (message subject should be: “Tenure-track Position DECN”).
- A motivation letter (max 2 pages),
- A curriculum vitae including the list of publications and ORCID ID
- A selection of up to 10 (ten) relevant publications or scientific contributions in the last 5 (five) years, detailing the candidate’s contribution (max 2 pages),
- The names and contacts of three references, who may be asked for letters of recommendation,
- A brief proposal of a research program in Nuclear Sciences and Technologies (max 2 pages).
Full consideration will be given to the expressions of interest received by October 30, 2023.
NB: Please note that this announcement is not a guarantee of an opening of a permanent position. The expressions of interest received will contribute to the decision of DECN/IST whether or not to open official calls.
About IST (ULisboa)
IST is the top Engineering, Science and Technology school in Portugal and one of the top ranked in Europe. IST provides an inspiring world-class learning environment, while performing leading research with global impact. The outstanding achievements of IST, its unique institution profile, and its privileged location in Lisbon, coupled with the high quality of its students, alumni, faculty and staff, make it truly a school for the world.
Tenure track at IST-ULisboa:
This open search is for prospective candidates interested in applying for upcoming openings of tenure-track researcher positions with an initial 3-year appointment. After this period of 3 years, and upon a successful evaluation, the temporary employment will be converted into a permanent position. During the probationary 3-year period the junior faculty member will undergo a Mentoring Program that promotes the integration and adaptation to the IST culture. The objective of the program is to accelerate the development of an academic career with international impact, exhibiting scientific and academic leadership. The Program also supports junior faculty members through a start-up package, an incentive to partial sabbatical leaves abroad during the tenure track period, as well as access to an internal ERC Acceleration Program.
Salary and benefits:
IST-ULisboa is a public institution that offers competitive salaries and benefits in accordance with national laws and regulations. These include the possibility to subscribe to the healthcare plan for civil servants, benefiting from a wide choice of private and public national health services at reduced prices, the use of maternity license and paternity leave in case of child birth, and other social benefits.